phil&teds are all about enabling parents to adapt&survive everyday parenting challenges. Years of experience developing innovative travel solutions, speaking with parents and learning from the personal experiences of our team, we’ve put together our top 10 spring break travel tips with kids in tow!
- 1. Travel Lightly – Travelling lightly (with kids) may seem an impossible task and having lot’s to carry while trying to keep hold of kids can get messy. Leave the cute kid sized suitcase at home. You’ll most likely end up dragging it around on top of your own luggage and it’s just another item to juggle!
- 2. Wear a carrier – Having your hands free in the airport is always “handy” when kids are involved! Wearing a carrier will make carrying suitcases and sorting out travel documents much easier because you’ve got free hands. Being hands free is helpful when checking out the shops, going for a bush walk or visiting the markets while on holiday.
- 3. Take a travel stroller – Your child will appreciate cruising in their stroller when walking gets too much for their little legs or when they want to have a snooze while you’re out & about. Taking a lightweight, compact stroller is a convenient, smart solution. They make getting around a breeze and take up minimal space in the car. If you are planning to travel by plane, consider whether you can use your stroller right up to the gate so you can use it around the airport.
- 4. Direct only – Fly non-stop if possible. Getting off the plane, collecting your luggage and rushing to make a connecting flight with kids in tow can be stressful and tiring. You’ll be much more relaxed if you simplify your travel plans.
- 5. Breathe – Yes, for years you’ve hated those parents who couldn’t get their kids to “be quiet” on the plane and now … you are one of them! Don’t let it get to you. Relax and your children will too. Take deep breaths and take comfort in the thought that most people understand and are sympathising with you.
- 6. Snacks – Essential in any circumstance but when travelling it’s a good idea to pack snacks that last a LONG time. A packet of crackers, a sugar free lollipop or a box of raisins – anything that keeps them quiet and occupied for a while.
- 7. “Are we there yet?” – Children are lovely, inquisitive little things but when you’re confined to a small space your patience may be tested with the same questions over and over again. Let them answer their own question. Print off a Google map and encourage them to mark off the places you pass on your journey and fill in the route with coloured pencils.
- 8. Tickle them – Most toddlers make it known when they want out of their seats, but whilst travelling this isn’t always possible. Giving them a tickle releases some stress for them and the sound of giggling is far more pleasant than whining.
- 9. Bring your own travel crib or portable cot – Babies are easier to settle when they have a comfy familiar place to sleep, so take your own. Plus you never know what condition the crib at your accommodation is in!
- 10. Feeding on the go – take the stress out of finding a clean hygienic place for your child to eat by taking a clip on high chair. A portable high chair will mean that you always have a safe, comfy and clean space for feeding on the go.
Whether parent’s are out & about or at home, baby’s sleep and play time is covered with the traveller. The only portable travel crib that is lighter than the baby. It’s super light and compact for travel near or far at 3.2kg. The traveller keeps your child happy and comfy either asleep in the crib or at play in the playpen with the side unzipped. The carry bag packs the traveller so small you can fit it in a backpack, to go hiking or stow in the overhead locker of an airline. The fully ventilated mesh sides provide excellent air circulation.
The lobster is the perfect travel high chair. It’s unbelievably lightweight, flat packing and portable with a quick smart, clip on clamping that fits most tables. The lobster offers a safe and comfy solution for feeding on the go. The padded seat makes it a cushy place to sit and the 5-point harness makes it super safe. It even comes with a tray so your child has their own feeding space.
Specifically designed for buggy and beyond, the universal travel bag makes travelling easy no matter what you are taking with you; from a small bike, car seat, clothes, shoes, you name it – the universal travel bag has always got you covered. It has loads of space with an adjustable size to fit all of baby’s gear. Simply place your buggy or other cargo inside the open bag, wrap it up and off you go. It’s hard wearing and padded for maximum protection, and the sturdy wheels make it easy to roll when packed. And when you’ve finished using the universal travel bag, it rolls up into an easy to store compact bundle. It’s lightweight at less than 2kg! The universal travel bag says it like it is – a bag that fits the phil&teds and mountain buggy range as well as other leading brands.